Summer Reading Program
The Bhutan Summer Reading Program is a unique opportunity to experience life in a magical, mystical Himalayan country that few people get the opportunity to visit. During a 4-week classroom placement you will help elementary school children to improve their English reading skills. You will also mentor Bhutanese teachers, providing them with the chance to learn from your experience and skill base. You will be able to have a positive impact on both children and teachers, while enjoying a unique personal experience!
In order to qualify to participate in the Bhutan Summer Reading Program individuals need to meet the following criteria:
- Experienced and qualified Teachers (with a B.Ed and/or teaching license and five years of experience).
- Teaching subjects should be at the elementary level or English at any level; additional qualifications in reading, literacy, English specialization, and ESL are highly sought.
- English must be your first, mother-tongue, language.
- Spouses/family are not permitted to accompany Reading Program teachers unless both are teachers who fit the above criteria and participate in the Program.
- Teachers must complete a BCF medical evaluation form with their general physician and be in excellent health.
|Type of Expense||Summer Reading Program, July 27 to August 25, 2017. Est.Cost $USD pp|
|International airfare to BKK or KTM||Booked by participant at their own cost|
|Round –trip Drukair ( Y class summer discount) KTM-PBH-KTM OR BKK-PBH-BKK||$500 to $725|
|All the accommodation while in Bhutan (shared room *)||$600|
|Transport to and from the schools accompanied by BCF staff||$200|
|Administration Fee/ BCF Donation**||$150 / $350|
|Estimated Total per person USD||$1,700 to $2,025|
*Costs not included:
- International airfare to Bangkok or Kathmandu
- Health Insurance
- Single entry visa fee
- Gifts for schools
** All Donations are tax deductible
Please address a letter of interest to Andrea Geddes Poole: [email protected] with a list of your credentials and experience and your reasons for wanting to be involved in this program. Once your letter has been acknowledged, you will be required to submit a completed application form with a copy of your CV and list of credentials, as well as a copy of your passport, which must be valid for six months after the date of the trip.
Deadline for the Summer Reading Program is April 30, 2017.
Questions about any aspect of the program, or about Bhutan, can also be addressed to Andrea Geddes Poole, the Executive Director in BCF’s Toronto office, 647-233-6607 [email protected]