SUPPORT FROM THE BHUTAN CANADA FOUNDATION
BCF provides the following support to teachers in the Teach in Bhutan program:
- Procurement of Bhutan visas and work permits
- Transportation from Paro International Airport
- Two-week orientation in Thimphu hosted by BCF and the Ministry of Education, Bhutan, which includes accommodation and meals
- Transportation from Thimphu to the placement location
- Assistance securing permanent accommodation prior to arrival in Bhutan
- Ongoing support throughout the year from the BCF Thimphu office
- Mid-year retreat during the summer school break
- Access to BCF Alumni Network after completion of contract in Bhutan
TRAVEL TO BHUTAN
BCF will assist teachers in booking travel to Bhutan. There is currently only one airline that flies into Bhutan, Druk Air. Druk Air flies out of Bangkok, Delhi, Kathmandu, Calcutta, Bagdogra, Dhaka, Gaya, Guwahati, Singapore and Mumbai.
Teachers not participating in the Teacher Fundraising program will need to pay for the cost of travel to and from Bhutan.
BCF will assist in acquiring a Bhutan visa and work permit prior to departure to Bhutan.
Teachers traveling through India en route to Bhutan will also need to secure an Indian transit or tourist visa prior to departure. This process can take some time and teachers are encouraged to begin preparations well in advance.
More information on applying for Indian visas can be found at http://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/
January through February
Interviews are held in-person in Toronto, Canada, and via Skype.
End of February
Successful candidates are presented to the Ministry of Education in Bhutan for second Skype interviews.
Ministry of Education approvals are finalised. Successful teachers are given an offer of employment and are sent an orientation packet, including fundraising materials.
April through November
Teachers participating in the Fundraising Program bank all monies with BCF.
BCF teachers arrive in Bhutan.
January 21 to February 1
Orientation is held in Thimphu, Bhutan.
February 2 to February 10
BCF teachers are taken to placements.
School Year Begins.
July 1 through July 15
* All dates are tentative and subject to change.